For any retail or hospitality enterprise, one of the most significant decisions you have to make when setting up or expanding is whether to choose a computerised EPOS till or a cash register. Although one has clear benefits, the initial investment can out many businesses off.
In this blog, we will outline exactly what an EPOS till system is, and hopefully shed some light on what works best for your company.
If you do have an EPOS system and it is in need of quick, effective, and long-lasting repairs, give us a call now on + 44 (0) 1294 274914.
What is an EPOS Till System?
EPOS till systems offer a number of benefits over traditional cash register systems through increased functionalist. Using modern computing technology, they can play an increased administrative role in comparison to a manually operated mechanical till.
Why Choose an EPOS Till over a Cash Register?
Despite the more significant initial investment, EPOS technology will quickly pay for itself over a relatively short space of time. This is because they offer new capabilities within your business, and can handle a lot of processes automatically which will free up you and your staff.
It does this by offering the following benefits:
- Automatic Reporting – By tracking every item and sale that goes through the till EPOS technology can provide instant and accurate reports on a vast number of topics. For example, it can tell you how much you have sold in total throughout the day, or perhaps a list of bestsellers.
- Accurate – When it comes to counting and tracking money, the more we can leave to computers the better. After all, humans tend to make mistakes! EPOS systems process everything automatically making your records and profits much more accurate.
- Flexible – Cash registers are relatively stubborn. Although they are a small investment, the only way to scale them up as your business grows is to buy another one. EPOS systems, however, can grow organically with your company.
- Loyalty Programmes – Loyalty schemes can be a fantastic way of encouraging customers to return to your store in order to spend more money. These can be difficult and overcomplicated to track manually, although EPOS makes it an absolute breeze.
- Gift Cards – Gift cards and vouchers are a tremendous method of bolstering your profits. Not only does it encourage shoppers to buy the cards as a gift for others, but often customers will not use the total on the card which offers, in essence, free money!
What Do You Need for an EPOS Till System?
There is quite a lot of flexibility with EPOS systems, although typically it is made up of three primary components.
Firstly, you will need a touchscreen interface. This will not only display relevant information for you and your employees but also allows you to interact with the system. Because it is touchscreen, the interface can be customised and edited for your specific needs.
Secondly, you will want a cash drawer. These are not particularly complicated, as you can imagine; they are merely secure metal drawers which you can store paper money and change in. However, they will open automatically whenever money should be placed inside.
Lastly, you will need a receipt printer. These use rolls of paper with heat activated ink. After a transaction, a receipt will be produced automatically.
There are certain other accessories and equipment which might be used to compliment your EPOS till system, although they will not be entirely essential if you are just starting out in your business, they might be something to consider as your company expands.
Our Company and Your EPOS Till
Although your EPOS till will take over a considerable number of processes within your business, this opens up a significant amount of potential for disruption should they break. However, admittedly, this is also a problem with traditional cash registers too!
Regardless, you need to make sure that when disaster does strike, you have a plan in place which will allow you to get back to normal as soon as possible. That is where Elcomatic comes in.
At our dedicated repair facility in Ayrshire, we have a fantastic team of experienced repair technicians who will diagnose and carry out any necessary repairs as quickly as possible.
After carrying out extensive testing which guarantees the effectiveness and lifespan of our repairs, we will package the technology up and send it back to you.
To book in a job today or to make an inquiry about our service, give us a call now on + 44 (0) 1294 274914.
Alternatively, complete our contact form, and we will be in touch as soon as possible.